I had so much fun with the movie meme last month that I thought I would do another. I have a deep love for music even if I haven't talked about it much on here. I found this 30 day meme and decided to do it all at once, because really, why wait? Put your headphones on or turn your speakers up, and enjoy!
1. Your favorite song - Tool - 46 & 2
It's hard to isolate just one as an absolute favorite, but the lyrics of 46 & 2 helped to save my life and the bass line is just incredible, so this is as close as it will probably ever get.
2. Your least favorite song - Fishheads
I assume this means a song you hate. And oh boy do I hate this song. I recommend not actually listening unless you want it in your head to annoy you forever.
3. A song that makes you happy - Beck - Tropicalia
Ah, 1/3 of the Bossa Nova Beck trio. If you dig it, the other two are "Deadweight" and "Missing" and I highly recommend you check them out too. There's something about the way Beck handles the Bossa Nova style that soothes me and fills me with happiness. It's very hard for me to be upset or angry when this song is on.
4. A song that makes you sad - They Might Be Giants - They'll Need a Crane
John Linell says he doesn't understand songs that are purposefully sad. He thinks songs where people are trying to be happy are far more tragic and upsetting. He just happens to be a master at writing this way as well. This section in particular always gets me:
"Don't call me at work again
No, no, the boss still hates me
I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore
And there's a restaurant we should check out
Where the other nightmare people like to go
I mean nice people—baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare"
5. A song that reminds you of someone - Incubus - A Certain Shade of Green
It sort of reminds me of two someones, but definitely one more than the other.
6. A song that reminds you of somewhere - Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
This song makes me think of the summer I spent hanging out at the house of where my friends always threw parties. It seemed like it was always on the radio then. That summer was sort of my version of John Lennon's Lost Weekend.
7. A song that reminds you of a certain event - Pain of Salvation - Chain Sling
Perhaps it is more accurate to say a certain relationship, but one particular night in question was just sort of our version of the argument being had between the two characters in this song. Also, isn't Daniel Gildenlow fantastic for being able to pull off a duet alone?
8. A song you know all the words to - The Little Mermaid - Part of Your World
I taught myself how to sing with this song. I also used to sing it to myself whenever I was sad as a kid.
9. A song that you can dance to - Rob Zombie - Living Dead Girl
I can't really dance so much as sway, and this song has a lot of "sway-ability"!
10. A song that makes you fall asleep - Beck - Paper Tiger
Pretty much the entirety of Sea Change is sleep inducing. It's not bad, just very, very mellow. I know this because I once made the mistake of listening to it while driving late at night. Fortunately I did not actually fall asleep!
11. A song from your favorite band - The Beatles - I Am The Walrus
Of course I'm going to pick a John song.
12. A song from a band you hate - Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me
13. A song that is a guilty pleasure - Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
I hate most modern rock bands. So why do I love this song so much? It may not be a guilty pleasure for everyone, but I feel guilty for liking it. Having now seen the video for the first time, I feel even guiltier.
14. A song that no one would expect you to love - Frente! - Bizarre Love Triangle
I honestly don't know what people think I listen to. This isn't high school, after all, where people carry the music they listen to like a badge of honor. But it's probably safe to assume that no one would expect me to love a cover song done by a band that's barely known in America.
15. A song that describes you - Billy Joel - She's Always a Woman
I can see how picking this song could make me sound a bit conceited. But it's always sort of made me proud to be a female, if that makes any sense. I think it's full of enough vagueness to fit any woman.
16. A song that you used to love but now hate - Celine Dion - The Power of Love
Confession time! My tastes in my youth were not the best. After hearing the Celine Dion/Luther Vandross version of "Beauty and the Beast" I went out and bought a Celine Dion cassette. I promise you by the time Titanic came out, I was hating her 100%.
17. A song that you hear often on the radio - Boston - More Than A Feeling
I listen to mostly classic rock stations these days, so this one comes up a lot along with a lot of their others. After hearing a Boston song he was unfamiliar with, Jak once asked me, "Has Boston ever written a bad song?" The answer is a resounding no.
18. A song you wish you heard on the radio - Jak Locke - Beautiful Day to Be Dead
I don't know how someone who doesn't know an unsigned musician personally is supposed to answer this question. Anyway, I like this song and I like this video, and not just because I was assistant cinematographer on it!
19. A song from your favorite album - Duran Duran - White Lines
I love the 90s MTV intro in this clip. I decided I'd throw another unexpected one here. Duran Duran's cover album, Thank You, is one of my favorites. Someone out there tell me I'm not alone!
20. A song that you listen to when you're angry - Nine Inch Nails - Wish
Because no one portrays angst better than Michael Trent Reznor.
21. A song that you listen to when you're happy - Green Day - Hitchin' a Ride
Watch the real video directly on Youtube, since they're being jerks about it.
Walking bass lines, witty lyrics, and harmonies are always happy time for me. This song has all three!
22. A song you listen to when you're sad - Bob Dylan - Desolation Row
Usually when I'm sad I try to listen to something happier to snap me out of it. But recently while in a funk, I put this song on.
23. A song that you want to play at your wedding - Duran Duran - Come Undone
It's kind of hard to pick such a thing without having a wedding planned, but this is sort of my own personal love song.
Bonus: My dad once told me he wanted to dance to a Michael Bolton song together (sigh), but I'd hope he'd accept this one instead. It always makes me cry when I hear it.
Tori Amos - Winter
24. A song that you want to play at your funeral - Steve Burns covering They Might Be Giants - Dead
This is a joke, really. Honestly I don't care what you play at my funeral because I won't be there. Listen to whatever you want. (And yes that is Steve from Blue's Clues!)
25. A song that makes you laugh - Ren & Stimpy's Happy Happy Joy Joy Song
I can't think "That's very funny" without my memory firing off "A fly marrying a bumblebee!" And I still laugh at this song every time I hear it.
26. A song that you can play on an instrument - Frere Jaques
The first song I ever learned to play on my Casio keyboard.
27. A song you wish you could play - Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
I love playing the riff in Guitar Hero, and I bet it would be fun to play on a real guitar too. But given my tiny little fingers, that will never happen.
28. A song that makes you feel guilty - A Perfect Circle - The Noose
You can't make amends with the dead.
29. A song from your childhood - The Bangles - Eternal Flame
I remember this as being one of the first songs I really, really loved.
30. Your favorite song at this time last year - Lady GaGa - Bad Romance
I was pretty obsessed with the song and the video for most of last year.
And one more bonus: Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump
I've been on a Beastie Boys binge lately, so it seemed wrong to not include them. This post also did not have nearly enough fish eye lens or kitties on record players.